Search This Blog

Friday, April 20, 2012

A thought about Spring

I was enjoying the warmth of our late afternoon yesterday, and my mind reflected on a dramatic presentation that Bro. David Norris gave concerning the seasons of life at the 2007 Illinois District Campmeeting.

I am going to run with the concept on my own.

Psalms 90:10 reads, "The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years...

I am going to assume that most people are going to live to be nearly 80 years old. I do this for ease of division into a life consisting of four seasons. According to my calculations, that gives us twenty years per season of life. Each one is unique and brings with it its own challenges, turmoils, and troubles.

 The overall pattern is the same, however each individual is as unique as any given year. For some the seasons will start or end earlier. Not all have the same experiences. Some winters are colder, other springs warmer, or fall may seem like a second summer. But everyone begins with Spring. And this is where my thought begins.

This would be the first twenty years or so. This is when all most of the learning is done. The fulness of growth has yet to be reached, and the full attaining of strength and ability is as yet only potential. The greatest advances are actually made in the first two or three years of life in a child. This is the time when they learn to crawl, stand, walk, run, talk, and eventually engage in communication.

The next several years are spent exploring the world around them. It is at this time they start understanding the full ramifications of cause and effect. They learn that the world is not fair, and not everything will go their way. They have little concept of danger, and so do things that (having lived through the same things) an adult would not.

This is the time when thoughts, opinions, beliefs, behaviors, dispositions, and morals are taught. Their experiences during this time will permanently mark them in ways that only later reveal their nature. This is why the Bible states that parents should raise their children in the right ways.

The storms that blow through the life as they hit late childhood and early teen years are often the 'roughest' that they will face. This is because along with being a time of growth and progress, this is also a time of very intense change. Perhaps the greatest changes in life are during the first twenty years. This creates chaos and confusion for the young person. However, for many as they emergence from their late teens, the storms and chaos ease and though transitions remain, they are now equipped a bit better to handle it.

This is the time when most people will choose to either walk with God or leave the church. Studies have often shown that by the time a person has reached the end of high school, it is obvious which direction that they are trending. This does not mean that all is without hope, but it is far more difficult from this point on.

This is often the time when preachers are called and their training begins. Most preachers receive their calling between the ages of 10-20, although this is not true for all, and some may run from it for years before yielding. good habits in the study of Scripture and doing the work of God plant the seeds for a lifetime of service.

This is the time when success or failure is planted. The care that is taken in the spring planting will be shown in the harvest. If a parent is not careful by their example, the children may be lost. Good teaching during this period is key.

4 comments:

AYR said...

Here are some of my thoughts on your blog, which got the old thinker cranking up. LOL

As a person whose “springtime” has long come and gone, I would say that you are correct in that this is the time we learn the basics in our lives. However, some of the greatest life teachings I have had were in my “summer” and and currently the “autumn” years.

I would reflect that “springtime” could be considered my most dangerous time in my life because I thought I knew it all. That can get a soul into trouble. It did me.

But consider the fact that some of us have had to re-enter the springtime phase in our summertime (or even autumn and winter) phase, we had to learn or re-learn some things that we never learned growing up. Many of us grew up either not knowing God, or learning about Him through false teachings. We have to sift through decades of what we knew what we were taught , into learning what the Bible really teaches about God and about Christ.

So it puts some of us into a “time-warp”.

However, I believe that God sometimes...somehow speeds up our process of learning in these cases. Sometimes we become that proverbial “sponge” and proceed faster than the chronological age normally at “springtime”. Perhaps that is because we are no longer concerned, (or at least by now, should have grown out of) with peer pressure, fashion, being accepted... and all of the things that hinder spiritual growth.

Overall, very good thoughts of how we should raise our children in the faith. What the overall spiritual environment to our children can do either makes them or breaks them.



P.S. This part not for comment section. Not trying to be critical, just trying to be helpful. On the very last paragraph, you have: This is the time when success of failure is planted. I’m sure you mean success or failure?

Jonathan said...

At the moment, I am speaking of our physical lives, but you are correct when you draw the analogy to the spirituall as well.

I have yet to post about summer, autumn, or winter yet, so you are getting a bit ahead of me. But I think I can explain what you are speaking of.

Tell me if I clarify some of your feelings when I have posted my next entry Concerning Summer, which will be entered long before summer actually arrives. I want to move through these now while they are very fresh in my mind.

I appreciate the comment.

Jonathan said...

P.S. This part not for comment section. Not trying to be critical, just trying to be helpful. On the very last paragraph, you have: This is the time when success of failure is planted. I’m sure you mean success or failure?



Oh dear, how very embarrassing. I shall have to fix that immediately. You are quite correct, and after I am finished, it will be corrected.

AYR said...

Don't be embarrassed. I have a spell checker that changes many of my words all the time to what I don't want them to be. My spell checker keeps me on my toes. Ha ha ha.

Chances are your spell checker changed it while you weren't looking.